Working hours 2
Learn more of the vocabulary to talk about working hours in English:
part-time = to work a part of the day or week
- When I was a student, I had a part-time job in a bar.
- We are looking for a part-time receptionist to work mornings.
to be punctual = to start or arrive at the specified time
- She’s very punctual, always here on time.
- Please be punctual. I don’t want to have to wait for late arrivals.
home working = to work from home rather than going into the office
- Home working misses the social element of going to work.
- Modern technology means that home working has become a real possibility for many people.
time sheet = a record of the numbers of hours worked by an employee
- Fill out this time sheet every day and hand it to your manager on Fridays.
- We no longer have time sheets as this is done automatically by the electronic ID badges.
unsocial hours = hours outside of the normal working week
- Although the hours are rather unsocial, I don’t want a nine to five job.
- Lots of professions work very unsocial hours and don’t necessarily get compensated for it.
to take a break = to stop work for a short time to relax
- You can buy tea or coffee when you take a break.
- Sometimes it’s a good idea to take a break and come back to a job refreshed.
to clock in/out = to record the start or finish time of work on a special machine
- The staff clock in when they arrive and clock out as they leave.
- Flexitime means that everyone has to clock in and out to keep a check on the hours worked.
public holidays = national holidays that are not generally worked
- Your holiday entitlement does not include public holidays like Christmas Day.
- If a public holiday is on a Thursday, many people take the Friday off and have a long weekend.
hourly rate = the salary that is paid per hour of work
- We are paid a considerably higher hourly rate for Sundays or evening work.
- The part-time employees are paid an hourly rate but the permanent staff are paid a fixed salary.
fixed hours = the working hours of an employee do not change or cannot be varied
- The admin staff work fixed hours; nine to five, five days a week.
- As a freelancer, I don’t have any fixed hours but work when the work is there.