We can use ‘should’ after ‘reporting verbs’ such as
demand insist propose recommend suggest
- He demanded that we should pay for the repair.
- She insisted that she should pay for the meal.
- I have proposed that he should take charge of the organization.
- The committee recommends that Jane should be appointed.
- We have suggested that Michael should be given a reward for his hard work.
However, it is also possible to say exactly the same thing by omitting the ‘should’ and just using the infinitive form without ‘to’ . Some people call this the ‘subjunctive’ form.
- He demanded that we pay for the repair.
- She insisted that she pay for the meal.
- I have proposed that he take charge of the organization.
- The committee recommends that Jane be appointed.
- We have suggested that Michael be given a reward for his hard work.
We can use ‘should’ after various adjectives. Typical examples are :
funny interesting natural odd strange surprised surprising typical
- It’s funny that you should say that. I was thinking exactly the same thing.
- It’s interesting that they should offer him the job. Not an obvious choice.
- It’s natural that you should be anxious. Nobody likes speaking in public.
- Isn’t it odd that he should be going to the same tiny hotel? What a coincidence.
- It’s strange that you should think so. Nobody else does.
We can use ‘should’ in ‘if clauses’ when we believe that the possibility of something happening is small.
- If you should happen to see him before I do, can you tell him that I want to speak to him urgently?
- If there should be a problem, just give me a call and I’ll sort it out.
- If anyone should ask where I am, say I’m in a meeting.
We use ‘should’ in various fixed expressions.
To show strong agreement
- They’re paying you compensation? I should think so.
To express pleasure when you receive a gift
- What a fantastic present. You really shouldn’t have.
To emphasize a visible emotion
- You should have seen the look on her face when she found out that she had got the promotion.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?